Porcelain veneers give patients the freedom to makeover their smiles and correct various dental imperfections. While dental veneers empower patients to improve their smiles, patients often wonder about the pros and cons compared to other cosmetic interventions. At Atlanta Smiles, we desire for our patients to make an informed decision, including understanding the details of their dental procedures.
What Are Porcelain Veneers?A porcelain veneer is a thin shell crafted with tooth-colored material that covers the front surface of the teeth. The procedure involves permanently bonding the shell onto a prepared tooth to cover imperfections. Patients may choose to correct one tooth with a single veneer or makeover their smile with multiple veneers. Dentists use veneers as a cosmetic procedure to correct the color or shape of the teeth. Patients with stained, damaged, or misshapen teeth benefit from veneers to transform their smiles.
How Do Porcelain Veneers Compare to Alternative Cosmetic Procedures?Cosmetic dentists have a variety of procedures available to correct aesthetic dental issues. Clear aligners straighten teeth, dental crowns restore damaged teeth, and teeth whitening corrects discolored teeth. Yet, each patient must decide the proper procedure to match their oral health, aesthetic goals, and budget. Veneers are generally less invasive and more affordable than crowns, especially when correcting multiple teeth. Also, many patients desire a quicker solution to restore the appearance of teeth. Procedures like braces and clear aligners take longer to experience the desired results. Many patients opt to combine veneers with other dental procedures. For example, some patients choose veneers for the top front teeth and clear aligners for the bottom teeth. The Atlanta Smiles dental team happily discusses available options with our patients.
The Pros and Cons of Porcelain VeneersPorcelain veneers give dentists and patients an effective way to repair aesthetic imperfections. While beneficial and effective, patients should weigh the pros and cons to make an informed decision.
Pros of Porcelain Veneers
- Improves the appearance of stained, chipped, cracked, or misshapen teeth
- Long-lasting results with a lifespan from 10 years to several decades
- Customized color and shape for a natural tooth appearance
- Minimally invasive procedure
- Quick cosmetic solution
- Durable and easy to maintain
Cons of Porcelain Veneers
- They may not work well on teeth that have large fillings or extensive decay
- They are permanent and require replacement at the end of their lifespan
- May cause tooth sensitivity
- While durable, they can chip or break
- The dentist must remove a small amount of tooth enamel to adhere the veneers