Dental Mouth Guards and Night Guards
REAL People. REAL Smiles.
Atlanta Smiles offers custom Night guards and mouth guards for sports and sleep. Our dentists promote the prevention and protection of teeth from damage. We custom design mouth guards to fit each patient’s mouth and bite.
Atlanta Smiles is a full-service dental practice that provides comprehensive care in a friendly, comfortable setting. Our expert dental team is committed to excellent customer service and personalized treatment plans. Ask your dentist if a custom mouth guard is right for you—contact us to schedule a consultation!
Night Guard for Sleep
Atlanta Smiles offers night guards for patients who grind teeth or are at risk for developing temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders or other jaw problems during sleep. The night guard protects the teeth and stabilizes the jaw while sleeping.
Reasons to Wear a Night Guard
Wearing a night guard while sleeping helps patients with several common issues.
- Teeth grinding or bruxism – A nightguard helps prevent teeth damage caused by clenching or grinding. Stress, anxiety, depression, TMJ disorder, or other factors can cause this condition.
- Temporomandibular Joint Disorders (TMD) – TMD includes many different types of pain and dysfunction involving the muscles, joints, and nerves of the face and head. When the jaw moves forward, backward, or side to side, pressure builds up, and over time this can lead to more severe complications.
Symptoms A Night Guard May Help
If you experience the following symptoms, talk to your dentist about a nightguard. These symptoms may indicate a jaw disorder, teeth grinding, or sleep apnea.
- Painful chewing
- Difficulty falling asleep
- Frequent headaches
- Neck pain
- Jaw pain
- Bad breath
Whether you’re grinding your teeth or suffering from jaw pain, a nightguard offers a non-invasive solution to protect your health and improve sleep. We work with each patient to determine the best intervention to address your specific symptoms.
Types of Night Guards
There are two main types of nightguards:
- Customized – Your dentist will create a customized night guard based on your unique needs. You’ll wear the night guard all through the night while sleeping.
- Prefabricated – A prefabricated night guard comes ready-made. Some models require molding the guard to fit your mouth, while others fit over the teeth without any shaping. These typically do not work well and can cause additional issues due to the poor fit.
Atlanta Smiles offers custom nightguards after diagnosis of your health or sleep issue.
Benefits of Wearing a Mouth Night Guard
Wearing a dental nightguard protects your teeth and health. It also offers other specific benefits.
- Protects Teeth from Damage – A night guard prevents damage to the teeth by protecting them from grinding or clenching. If you grind your teeth, wearing a nightguard reduces the likelihood of tooth decay and gum disease.
- Prevents Bruxism – Bruxism is a condition in which people clench their jaws while they sleep. Having a nightguard helps keep your jaw muscles relaxed so you don’t grind your teeth.
Sports Mouth Guards for Protection
Each year, thousands of individuals suffer dental injuries due to playing sports. Not only can sports-related dental injuries result in severe damage, but they can also lead to costly and time-consuming dental treatments. For this reason, the American Dental Association recommends everyone playing a contact sport wear a custom-fitted mouthguard.
At Atlanta Smiles, we care about your dental health on and off the field. Whether you are a star athlete or just like to have good-old-fashioned fun, a custom-made mouthguard can help protect your teeth and gums from dental injuries. Though they are available at sporting goods stores and online, not all mouthguards provide the best protection and can wear down relatively quickly.
Reasons to Wear a Sports Mouth Guard
Unlike store-bought mouthguards that require shaping to try and achieve the right size, our custom sports mouthguards securely fit everyone for the best protection.
Mouthguards are standard for contact sports like football, basketball, hockey, and mixed martial arts. But, athletes can suffer mouth injuries during other sports, like soccer, volleyball, skiing, baseball, softball, and more. Whatever your sport, mouth protection keeps you safe and in the game.
Types of Mouth Guards
- Custom Mouthguards – We make custom mouthguards for athletes of all ages. We craft each mouthguard using the patient’s dental impressions to fit the unique specifications of their mouth.
- Boil and Bite Mouthguards – These ready-made mouthguards are available at sporting goods stores. They work by inserting the mouthguard into boiling water to soften the material. Then, you bite down on the mouthguard to adapt it to the shape of your mouth.
- Stock Mouthguards – These ready-made mouthguards are also available at sporting goods stores. However, they are not adjustable or customizable.
Atlanta Smiles creates custom mouthguards designed for the best protection and fit!
The Benefits of Custom Mouth Guards
Atlanta Smiles provides custom mouth guards designed to fit precisely for individuals playing sports. Individuals with braces can significantly benefit from mouth guards because the extra protection serves as a barrier when faced with a potential dental injury. Customized mouth guards offer several advantages over their store-bought counterparts.
- Increased Protection – Mouthguards protect teeth and gums from damage.
- Comfort – Custom mouthguards have less bulk than stock mouthguards, creating more comfort and less distraction.
- Easier Breathing – Athletes need control over their breathing. Custom mouthguards fit better, which leaves more space for a clear airway.
- Durability – Custom mouthguards are more tear-resistant than pre-made mouthguards. They offer better quality to hold up to the rigor of the athlete.
- Less Shifting Around in the Mouth – The custom design allows for better stability with reduced shifting in the mouth. Mouthguards stay in place and are less likely to fall out during play.
Our team creates custom mouthguards to meet the needs of patients who play sports.
Custom Mouth Guard Crafting and Fitting
At Atlanta Smiles, we use state-of-the-art technology to create custom mouthguards. We take a dental impression to fabricate the mouthguard to match your teeth, gums, and jaw. The durable material used fits seamlessly and comfortably.
Getting a professionally-made mouthguard from Atlanta Smiles is a simple and worthwhile investment. Consider a custom-made mouthguard or nightguard as a one-time purchase that saves time and money in the long run. We also educate you on proper placement and care for your mouthguard or nightguard.
Contact us to schedule an appointment!