Dr. Dina Giesler
My story in Dentistry began back in 1980 in Houston, Texas when I was a senior in high school working as an Orthodontist assistant around the corner from Gilley’s. It was then, that I knew I had found a passion with a career in Dentistry. I was fortunate to be able to work for a multidisciplinary practice as an undergraduate student at the University of Houston. I applied to the Dental Hygiene school at the University Of Texas Dental School in the Houston Medical Center and began my training in 1982. I worked my way through the 2 year program as a waitress at Chili’s and as a dental assistant.
Upon graduation from the program in 1984, I worked for the next three years in over 30 dental practices and with over 50 dentists while completing my undergraduate studies at the University of Houston. I knew then that I needed to become a Dentist but I also knew my passion was ultimately a career in Cosmetic Dentistry. Upon entering the University of Texas Dental school in 1987, little did I know how prepared I truly was for a career in Dentistry. I worked through dental school as a hygienist and I had the opportunity to run an evening Oral Pathology clinic for two of the Deans of the UT Dental Branch, Dr. Denis P. Lynch and Dr. J. Robert Newland. Again, my training proved to be invaluable. I served as Class President during school, and was fortunate to represent The University of Texas Dental Branch as a student delegate to the American Dental Association.
I enlisted in the Navy as an ensign my freshman year only to receive an Honorable Discharge by my senior year.
(that’s a whole other story for another time!)
Upon graduation in 1991 I matched at the University of Oklahoma Medical Center and received excellent training in treating extremely compromised patients during my General Hospital Residency Internship. Following that year, I packed my bags and headed to Lubbock, Texas to run a public health clinic in Plainview, Texas. This also proved to be yet another year of invaluable training in treating underprivileged patients. It was then that I began doing everything I could to help these people who had such horrendous cosmetic challenges. I perfected my techniques in surgery, bonding and full mouth reconstruction. I returned to Houston, and worked in several practices as an associate, one being one of the top Cosmetic Practices in the city. It was then, that I was able to perfect my artistic skills and learn from someone who had mastered the art in cosmetic dentistry. I bought my first practice in 1995 in Texas City from Dr. JD McConnell. In 1999 I sold my practice to move to Atlanta. I completed the build-out here at Post Riverside, and opened the office in January of 1999. It has been a pleasure to work with some of the most successful and accomplished people in Atlanta. I feel very fortunate that we can help our patients achieve the best not only in oral care but overall general health in a sincere, caring and private practice where yes…everyone knows your name.
By far, my biggest achievement has been in starting The Atlanta Smiles Foundation and giving back to Survivors of Domestic Abuse . This has been a gift that is shared by my entire staff.
- 1984 University of Texas Dental Branch~ Registered Dental Hygiene Degree
- 1991 University of Texas Dental Branch Doctor in Dental Surgery Degree
- 1991 American College Of Dentist Award
- 1991 Honorable Discharge- United States Navy
- 1992 Completion of General Practice Residency Oklahoma Medical Center
- 1993 Completion of Public Health Service- South Plains Health Provider Organization – Plainview,Tx
- 2000 Academy of General Dentistry Fellowship Inductee
- 2004 Georgie Trend Magazine~ Feature Story
- 2003, 2004 America’s Top Dentist Award~ Consumer Research Council of America
- 2005 March of Dimes Chair- Evening of Excellence
- 2005, 2006 Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry Partners in Peace Award
- 2006 Academy of General Dentistry Mastership Inductee
- 2006 Founded the Atlanta Smiles Foundation
- 2007 Chair- Give Back a Smile Program featuring Kenny Rogers
- 2007 American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry – First Humanitarian Award
- 2008 Chayil Inc. “Butterflies and Allies Honoree
- 2010, 2012 America’s Top Dentist Award- Consumer Research Council of America
- 2010 Atlanta Magazine “Top Dentist” Award
- 2011 Ryan Cameron Foundation Service Award
- 2013 J. Frank Dobie High School Hall of Honors Inductee
- 2014 Oxford Center Leadership Award